Your HVAC system is like a car — it needs regular maintenance to keep it running smoothly. However, unlike a car, your HVAC system is usually out of sight and out of mind until a problem arises. That is why you need to know some of the signs that your HVAC system may need repair. Learn four common warning signs.
Your Energy Bills Are Higher Than Usual
If your energy bills have gradually risen, your HVAC system most likely does not operate as efficiently as it once did — this is because your system has to work harder to maintain the same comfort level, which uses more energy.
Other factors, such as a change in the weather or higher energy rates, can also affect your energy bills. However, if you notice a sudden spike in your energy usage, see if your HVAC system is the culprit.
Your Home Is Not as Comfortable as It Used to Be
Your HVAC system works to maintain a comfortable temperature by not just ensuring that your premises stay cool in the summer and warm in the winter — it also makes sure the air in your home is free of allergens, pollutants, and other airborne contaminants.
When your HVAC system does not work properly, those things can start to build up and make it difficult for one to breathe and trigger allergy symptoms.
If you notice any discomfort in your home, have a professional check. They can diagnose the problem and get your system up and running again so you can enjoy a comfortable home.
You Hear Strange Noises Coming from Your HVAC System
Discover common sounds that indicate a problem with your HVAC system:
- Banging. This noise could result from loose parts, clogged parts, or failing motors.
- Screeching. Screeching signals a problem with the fan belt. It could be either too tight or too loose.
- Humming. A variety of issues could cause a humming noise, including a loose fan blade, clogging, or a failing motor.
- Buzzing. Issues, such as loose parts, a faulty capacitor, or dirt accumulation, could cause buzzing noises from your HVAC system.
- Rattling. Loose screws or bolts often cause rattling noises. The rattling noise is also possible due to something caught in the fan blades.
- Clicking. A clicking noise is usually an indication of a problem with the ignition system.
- Hissing. A hissing noise can be due to a refrigerant leak or a buildup of dirt and debris in the coils.
- Bubbling. These noises are often a result of dirt in the drain pan.
If you hear any strange noises coming from your HVAC system, think of hiring an expert to repair or replace it.
Your HVAC System Leaks Water
If you notice water leaking from your HVAC system, this is a good sign that it needs some repair work. Water leaks can result from various issues, like a clogged drain line, dirt and debris buildup in the coils, or a refrigerant leak. An HVAC repair professional can solve this.
Some of these signs are fixable with a simple repair, while others may require a full replacement. If you are ever unsure whether or not your HVAC system needs repair, the best course of action is to call a professional. While DIY is tempting, HVAC systems are complex and require special training and tools to repair.
IMS Heating & Air Inc. is a leading provider of HVAC services in Colorado, and we offer a wide range of services, including HVAC installation, repair, and maintenance. Contact us today to schedule a consultation. We look forward to helping you with all your specific HVAC needs.