With the warmer months approaching, it’s important to start thinking about how to keep your home cool without breaking the bank.
Running an air conditioning unit can quickly lead to an increase in your monthly energy bill, but there are several ways to save money on AC units and services.
In this article, we will help you find the best way to save money on your AC and keep your home comfortable during the hot summer months.
Continue reading to learn more.
How to Save Money on AC Services in Colorado
Homeowners can take advantage of the following list to save money on their AC services and other energy-efficient upgrades. Colorado has a host of opportunities for consumers looking to be eco-forward, and IMS is here to help.
These steps can assist in your journey:
1. Make the Most of Rebates
Rebate programs are a great way to save money on AC services. Many utility companies offer rebates to customers who upgrade to a more energy-efficient system or install a programmable thermostat.
If you want to learn how to save money on air conditioning, be sure to research the following rebates:
- Xcel Energy’s Cooling Rebate Program: This program offers rebates to Xcel Energy customers who upgrade to a more energy-efficient cooling system or install a programmable thermostat. The rebate amount varies depending on the type and size of the system but can range from $75 to $1,200.
- EnergySmart Colorado: This program provides rebates to homeowners who make energy-efficient upgrades to their homes, including insulation, air sealing, and high-efficiency cooling systems. The rebates range from $150 to $1,500, depending on the upgrade.
- Black Hills Energy’s Colorado Rebates Program: This program offers rebates to Black Hills Energy customers who upgrade to energy-efficient cooling systems, install programmable thermostats, or conduct a home energy assessment. The rebate amount varies depending on the upgrade but can range from $50 to $1,200.
- Holy Cross Energy’s Energy Smart Program: This program provides rebates to Holy Cross Energy customers who make energy-efficient upgrades to their homes, including insulation, air sealing, and high-efficiency cooling systems. The rebates range from $150 to $1,500, depending on the upgrade.
By taking advantage of the aforementioned energy rebate programs in Colorado, homeowners can save money on their AC services and other energy-efficient upgrades, while reducing their energy consumption and carbon footprint. Be sure to check with your local utility company for more information on available rebate programs in your area.
2. Upgrade to an Energy-Efficient Unit
One of the most effective ways to save money on AC is to upgrade to an energy-efficient unit. Older air conditioning units tend to be less efficient, meaning they require more energy to cool your home. By investing in a new, energy-efficient unit, you can reduce your energy consumption and reduce your monthly energy bill.
When shopping for a new AC unit, look for models with a high Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio (SEER) rating. The higher the SEER rating, the more energy-efficient the unit is. You can also look for units with the ENERGY STAR label, which shows that the unit meets certain energy efficiency guidelines set by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
3. Use a Programmable Thermostat
Another way to save money on AC-related expenses is to use a programmable thermostat. These unique types of thermostats allow you to set different temperature levels for different times of the day, which can help you save energy and money.
For example, you can set the thermostat to a higher temperature when you are not home during the day and lower it when you are home in the evenings. This way, you’re not wasting energy cooling an empty home.
4. Keep Your AC Unit Maintained
Regular maintenance of your AC unit is crucial for keeping it running efficiently and saving money on your energy bill. Dirty air filters can cause your AC unit to work harder, which uses more energy and costs more money.
Clean or replace your air filters regularly, usually once a month during the summer months. You should also have your AC unit professionally serviced at least once a year to ensure it’s running at peak efficiency.
5. Utilize Ceiling Fans
Ceiling fans can help circulate cool air throughout your home, which can reduce the workload on your AC unit. By using ceiling fans with your AC unit, you can set your thermostat to a higher temperature without sacrificing comfort.
Make sure your ceiling fans are rotating in a counterclockwise direction during the summer months, which creates a cooling breeze. You should also turn off ceiling fans when you’re not in the room to save energy.
6. Keep Your Home Cool with Shades and Curtains
Finally, you can save money on AC by keeping your home cool with shades and curtains. Direct sunlight can heat your home quickly, which can cause your AC unit to work harder to cool it down.
By keeping your shades and curtains closed during the hottest parts of the day, you can block out sunlight and keep your home cooler. You can also invest in window film or reflective shades, which can help reflect sunlight and heat away from your home.
Out of all of these techniques, what do you think is the best way to save money on AC services?
Household Benefits When You Save Money on Air Conditioning
There’s no shortage of benefits to improving your home’s AC. These perks include:
- Lower energy bills: By reducing energy consumption, you can expect to see a decrease in your monthly utility bills.
- Improved comfort: Using ceiling fans and shading your windows can make your home feel more comfortable and reduce the need for air conditioning, creating a more pleasant indoor environment.
- Longer lifespan of your AC unit: Regular maintenance can help prolong the lifespan of your AC system, which can save you money in the long run by delaying the need for replacement.
- Reduced carbon footprint: By using less energy, you can help reduce your carbon footprint and contribute to a cleaner, more sustainable planet.
- Peace of mind: Knowing that you’re taking steps to save money and reduce energy usage can provide a sense of satisfaction and peace of mind, which can lead to a happier, healthier lifestyle.
The Best Way to Save Money on AC: Conclusion
Running an air conditioning unit can be costly, but there are several ways to save money on AC. Upgrading to an energy-efficient unit, using a programmable thermostat, keeping your AC unit maintained, using ceiling fans, and keeping your home cool with shades and curtains are all effective ways to save money on your energy bill.
So, if you’re ready to say yes to a comfortable summer, reach out to the IMS Heating & Air team of experts today. By following these tips, and consulting our professionals, you can keep your home cool without breaking the bank.